The Holiday Season doesn’t just mean Christmas, it signifies the start of the warm summer weather. The Brisbane Produce Market has an abundance of traditional celebratory fresh produce ready for the festive season. In this post, we share some ingredients and recipes to highlight the summer spirit, Summer Salads.
What’s hot this season? Veggies to add in salads! Colourful capsicums are the best bargain vegetable and can be teamed up with Asian vegetables, beetroot, cabbage, carrot, celery, eggplant, snow peas, silverbeet, onions, potatoes and sweet potatoes.
Warm Potato & Capsicum Salad
Recipe and image courtesy of Taste.com.au
- 1kg golden delight potatoes, peeled, cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red capsicum, cut into 3cm pieces
- 200g baby roma tomatoes, halved
- 80g baby rocket
- 1 medium red onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C fan-forced. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Place potato on prepared tray. Drizzle with half the oil. Season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Roast for 20 minutes.
- Add capsicum to tray. Toss to combine. Roast for 15 to 20 minutes or until capsicum is browned and potato golden and tender. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Place potato, capsicum, tomato, rocket and onion in a bowl. Place vinegar, garlic and remaining oil in a screw-top jar. Secure lid. Shake to combine. Pour over potato mixture. Toss to combine. Serve.
It’s the perfect weather for salads – tomatoes, lettuce, mixed salad leaf, cucumbers and most herbs are best in season. Their high water content also lends to their refreshing and hydrating properties.
Recipe and image courtesy of Delicious.com.au
- 150g baby rocket
- 1 avocado, peeled, diced
- 100g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup (80ml) olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Place rocket, avocado and tomato in a large bowl. Combine oil and vinegar, season with salt and pepper, then toss with salad leaves. Once dressed, serve immediately.
The colour and smells of summer in Australia means an abundance of peaches, nectarines, apricots and plums. These stone fruits are best in season, you can take advantage of this by creating some delicious salads like this one:
Summer Stone Fruit Salad
Recipe and image courtesy of What’s Gaby Cooking?
- 4 large heirloom tomatoes, cored and cut into wedges
- 1 cup heirloom cherry tomatoes
- 2 ripe but firm peaches, cut into wedges
- 2 ripe but firm nectarines, cut into wedges
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup Feta, crumbled
- Fresh basil leaves
- Fresh mint leaves
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
For the Lemon Champagne Vinaigrette:
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3 teaspoons champagne vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
Arrange the tomatoes, stone fruit and red onions on a large platter or bowl. Top with basil, mint, feta and salt and pepper. Toss with Lemon Champagne Vinaigrette.
Mangoes are back on the shelves, so are Melons and Bananas – great for a more tropical vibe in your recipes.
Calypso Mango, Prawn and Macadamia Salad
Recipe and image courtesy of Calypso Mango.
- 2 large Calypso® Mangoes, peeled and sliced
- ¾ kg cooked prawns
- 1 cup roasted, salted Macadamias – crushed into large chunks
- 1 bag of fresh baby spinach leaves
For the dressing:
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Combine the dressing ingredients into a lidded jar and shake.
- Layer baby spinach leaves, prawns and Calyspo® mango slices onto 4 large plates.
- Drizzle with lemon basil dressing.
- Sprinkle with crushed macadamias to serve.